Thursday, November 09, 2006

Warrior Dubz & STFU

Last Friday I went down to Dubloaded @ Native with Anakissed, Bong-Ra and crew to see Mary-Anne Hobbs and The Bug launching the new Warrior Dubz 4LP on Planet Mu. Have a listen to Warrior Dubz on DSWAT and see what you think. I wasn't overly excited by the tracklisting due largely to my addiction to hard-ass breakcore, but there are a few sick dubz worth checking, namely Benga – ‘Music Box’, Digital Mystikz feat. Spen G – ‘Anti-War Dub’ and The Bug feat Flowdan – ‘Jah War’.

I had a brief chat with Mary-Anne after her DJ set (which was the best of the night in my opinion) about how she came to be the prophet of Dubstep, and she said it all started through contact with DJ Pinch in Bristol! DJ Pinch runs the Dubloaded nights alongside his record label Tectonic (not to forget his Subtext label which featured the first ever Vex'd vinyl releases!) and has produced some heavy dubstep tunes, including a remix for Monkey Steak!!! Check out his Planet Mu releases on DSWAT. I also spoke to Kevin Martin (aka The Bug) about doing some tracks for Death$uckr, to which he replied "I'm currenlty working on 3 albums", one of which will be released on Ninja Tune, which is an interesting turn for the well-known melow-jazz-funk label. Unfortunately we didn't stay to hear Kevin's set as my crew were begging me to go home...and we had a heavy night planned for STFU & Rave @ Black Swan the following night.

High Pressure Soundsytem (aka Greg) was at Dubloaded in full force...in fact the bass was so heavy we couldn't stay on the dancefloor for very long due to vibrating internal organs! Greg has been hassling me to let him rig out the next GoatLab with Drumcorps party on 1st Decemebr for free!!! now how can I argue with that?

BIG UP Mary-Anne Hobbs and The Bug!!! and be sure to check out her Breezeblock show on Radio 1, where she has been known to drop a few Death$ucker jams from time to time.

No comments: